Ron Paul wants his namesake domain (RonPaul.com) so badly that he's asking the United Nations for help. As it turns out, the current owners of said domain tried to cut him a deal regarding the domain. RonPaul.com's offer to Ron Paul:
After careful analysis of the available data, we are convinced that separating our grassroots website from RonPaul.com would be counterproductive. There are literally hundreds of thousands of inbound links directed to specific articles, videos and blog posts at RonPaul.com that would all be misdirected if you put up a new website at the domain.
Also, we have many email addresses, social media accounts, t-shirt designs etc. linked to the domain (in particular the popular Facebook page “RonPaul.com”) that we would have to change or abandon. In short, such an abrupt change would lead to chaos on the Internet and - at least temporarily - disrupt the message of liberty.
To avoid these complications we’d like to offer you an alternative domain name, RonPaul.org, for your new website at no cost whatsoever. Please don’t use a monstrosity such as “RonPaulsHomePage.com” as is being speculated on the forums. RonPaul.org is an attractive, high quality alternative, and it won’t cost you anything. (Other than the annual renewal fee; all domains have to be renewed each year and that costs about $10 per year.)
If you do insist on obtaining RonPaul.com (it is the best Ron Paul related domain name), we could relocate our grassroots site elsewhere and sell you the domain name at its current market price of $250,000. That would include a copy of our 170,000 strong RonPaul.com email list; these supporters proactively signed up for our email updates, they expect and welcome frequent communications, and they are completely “untapped” in terms of donations. This means that you (and/or Campaign for Liberty) could easily make back the purchase price in a matter of days. Only you can put this list to its best possible use, which is why we’d include it as a free bonus with RonPaul.com.
It’s worth noting that Paul hadn’t registered the domains in 2008, which is why the fans who built the current site bought them instead. Considering that they would’ve arguably been more valuable when he was running for president, it’s strange that he wants them now. What’s crazier about this situation — that his supporters are trying to charge him $250,000 to ensure some T-shirts don’t have broken links or that Paul, who generally is anti-government-intervention, is trying to get the UN involved?
63 Notes/ Hide
- nicenic-net likes this
- politiciansoc reblogged this from shortformblog
- dopemove likes this
- maneatingbadger reblogged this from nickdouglas
- maarja likes this
- hiaquaman likes this
- republicofideas reblogged this from shortformblog
- trxfreely answered: yep
- inflectional likes this
- politicss reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- politicss likes this
- clever-ironic-title likes this
- notalexus likes this
- woody reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- guelahpapyrus reblogged this from shortformblog
- weirdellis reblogged this from occono and added:
- n1ghtcrwler answered: To be fair, the UN isn’t, strictly speaking, a government.
- fartmountain reblogged this from shortformblog
- popelizbet reblogged this from shortformblog
- becomingbrey likes this
- benbixler reblogged this from shortformblog
- ampoch reblogged this from shortformblog
- andwhenithappens likes this
- petercrocemusic reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- bobbycaputo likes this
- maxistentialist said: Doesn’t Ron Paul support withdrawal from the UN?
- grammarmancer reblogged this from shortformblog
- fuzzyblueveggies reblogged this from shortformblog
- zackarooo said: "Government isn’t good for anything until I need it."
- zackarooo likes this
- kohenari likes this
- stphn likes this
- stphn said: lol @ a libertarian asking an international coalition of governments to intervene
- weirdtexan reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- occono reblogged this from nickdouglas
- dew0319 likes this
- obi-wankenblowme reblogged this from shortformblog
- 4thcoming likes this
- herblondness likes this
- shamalam answered: It’s crazier that he is asking the UN. The response from the webmaster(s) of the site is spot on
- lymphonodge likes this
- littleblondkid reblogged this from shortformblog
- jozefstuf likes this
- section9 reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- dendroica answered: Definitely the UN bit. The UN is the focus of so many conservative conspiracy theories.
- dendroica likes this
- nomimountain likes this
- fictionandneuroscience likes this
- kyriarchy reblogged this from shortformblog and added:
- thisshitaintfunny likes this